Many thanks go to Craig Schnaars (@the_wifi_guy) for coming up with a great adjective to describe Wireless Field Day #7 August 6-8. Epic (def.): “extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope “ In other words, this ain’t gonna be no ordinary WFD! So to get ready for this epic event, here’s a “one-stop shop” of links, blogs, podcasts, etc that will get you up to speed for WFD7 (#WFD7). Plus, I have a personal note at the end.
Tech Field Day Sites:
- Wireless Field Day 7 official web page: http://techfieldday.com/event/wfd7/
- WFD7 live streaming: http://techfieldday.com/
- About Tech Field Day (there are other field days, too: storage, virtual, networking): http://techfieldday.com/about/
- Gestalt IT: http://gestaltit.com/
Delegate blogs for #WFD7:
- Lee Badman – The Great Wireless Field Day 7 Pre-Blog: http://wirednot.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/the-great-wireless-field-day-7-pre-blog/
- Keith Parsons #1 – Preparing for Wireless Field Day #7: http://www.wlanpros.com/preparing-wireless-tech-field-day-7/
- Keith Parsons #2 – WLW054 Wireless Tech Field Day This podcast, in preparation for WFD6, gives some mini-interviews from delegates about what to expect at WFD events: http://www.wlanpros.com/wlw054-wireless-tech-field-day/
- Peter Paul Engelen – …”A”…What’s in the name? http://www.peterpaulengelen.com/2014/07/wireless-field-day7-a-whats-is-the-name/
- Stewart Goumans – Avaya does Wireless? http://wirelessstew.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/avaya-does-wireless-miniblog/
- Glenn Cate – Wireless Field Day #7: T-Minus 30 Days and counting… http://gcatewifi.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/wireless-field-day-7-t-minus-30-days-and-counting/
- Jennifer Huber – Excited to hear Avaya present at Wireless Field Day 7! http://jenniferhuber.blogspot.com/2014/06/excited-to-hear-avaya-present-at.html
Vendor blogs for #WFD7:
- AirTight: Are you ready for Lucky Number 7? – http://blog.airtightnetworks.com/wireless-field-day-are-you-ready-for-lucky-number-7/
- Extreme Networks: Mike Leibovitz – 08-Wireless Field Day 7 Kickoff (video podcast from Mike’s site, On the Fly WiFi) interviews Stephen Foskett and Tom Hollinsworth (30 minutes) http://ontheflywifi.net/ep08-wireless-field-day-7-kickoff/
I may have missed a delegate or vendor blog and if so, my apologies. Please add any missed links in the “Leave a Reply” section below.
Personal note (begin): To be invited as a delegate to WFD is an honor that causes me to reach for new words I’ve never used before. For me and my WLAN career, words like awesome, incredible, and monumental seem to lack the needed emotional expression of being invited to this event. (Maybe Craig is right–EPIC is a good way also to describe the invitation to be a delegate at WFD!). The day I received the invitation DM on Twitter from Stephen Foskett, was an epiphany (“an intuitive grasp of reality through something, as an event”). I drove to my wife’s school for a planned assembly and showed her the text on my phone and we both jumped up and down! I felt (and still feel….) like I did years ago when my mom and dad gave me a “Moon Base” for my Christmas gift!
Words also do not adequately express the way I want to offer thanks to the Tech Field Day team for this important and meaningful invitation. I mean really, you all do not even know me, except through blogging, Twitter and LinkedIN feeds, etc. Yet, somehow, the delegate team said something like this, “let’s give this guy a chance!” So please accept this “Thank You” from a grateful and humble heart! Personal note (end).
So, my fellow WLAN reader, you should be given a chance too, don’t you think? Seriously consider becoming a delegate for an upcoming WFD! Just apply and who knows…maybe you and your spouse will be looking at a phone text, jumping up and down too! http://techfieldday.com/delegates/become-field-day-delegate/
And to be sure your WLAN calendar is up-to-date, Wireless Field Day #8 is scheduled for April 1st, 2015 (yes, and that’s no April Fool’s joke!)
OK, if I whetted your appetite and you want to know more about what my “Moon Base” looked like, here’s the link. The exploding mountain in this toy set was, well….EPIC! :-)